Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Praying for rain...

It's hard not to take certain things for granted these days. I often forget to thank God for the basics: my home, my food, my health, and yes... my water. I knew it was a dry year here. Last year was too, but it's somehow different when there's a number attached to it. Our brothers and sisters in north Georgia our facing that number now... 90 days. Just three or four months of water are left in Lake Lanier and we have to wonder how far behind our own reservoir can be.

The Bible tells us repeatedly to pray about our needs. This passage in James has been on my heart:

Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and annoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.
James 5:13-14 (NIV)

There's a bit of rain potential in the forecast this week, and I think it's time to turn our faces heavenward and pray. Please join me in praying for much needed rain, for the wisdom and discernment of our government officials as they decide how to allocate the resevoir's existing water, and that we'll all be better stewards of the water resources which God has already provided.

And, if you read a bit further in James you'll find that rain is specifically mentioned.

Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.
James 5:17-18(NIV)

You'll find more information about Georgia's drought here .

Thank you for your prayers.


No comments: