Wednesday, October 24, 2007

On forgiveness

The Lord has shown me that I still have lots of work to do in this area. I personally turned a corner when I finally realized that forgiveness is not a feeling, it is a choice. To that end peacemaker ministries has some really great resources for anyone looking to work on this themselves (and who doesn't need to), particularly their 4 promises of forgiveness. I share these because they were so transforming for me, allowing me to make forgiveness choices everyday and providing concrete benchmarks along the way.





  1. I will not dwell on this incident.


  2. I will not bring up this incident again and use it against you.


  3. I will not talk to others about this incident.


  4. I will not let this incident stand between us and hinder our personal relationship


Now I won't pretend that putting these steps into action is easy, but it provided a great starting point for me. This is exactly the forgiveness that God gave to us and continues to dole out daily. We are asked by Him to do the same for others. He's pretty clear on that. In fact, when I took a look at the concordance in my Bible I found more than 80 references! One that's been on my heart today keeps it simple...


Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.


Colossians 3:12-14 (NIV emphasis mine)

1 comment:

~Rhen @yestheyareallmine said...

I have some work to do on this same area. I don't want to let something someone else did to me poison me and my relationship with God.

Thanks for visiting me and commenting on my blog!