Thursday, October 18, 2007

Milestones

Childhood and mommyhood are both full of firsts. I remember that with my oldest girls I eagerly anticipated some of those milestones. I couldn't wait for them to take their first steps, say their first words, etc.

It's funny how things can change! I'll admit that with our younger ones I have a much different attitude. While I do my best to cheer them on, those same milestones are just as likely to bring tears these days. Sure, everyone told me that time would fly, but until I had actually experienced it I just didn't quite get it. I've tried to hurry less and enjoy more these last few years and, for the most part, I've been successful.

I've never been the type to keep up with baby books either. I admire those of you who do, but I've just never found the time. I was thinking this week though about all the firsts I've been blessed to be involved in just this year. Here are a few...
  • Our first set of braces went on and off (that could have been our priciest first)
  • Our first school dances (Yikes!)
  • Our five year old tied her shoes and rode the big bus for the first time
  • Our nine year old auditioned for her first singing part (and got it)
  • And yes, littlest is cutting a tooth and sleeping through the night

Well, from where I sit that's a pretty impressive list! It reminds me of just how blessed I am to be in the midst of all of this. I have a church friend with two young children under five who is struggling with a severe illness right now. She worries that she might not be present for her little ones someday. I often take it all for granted, but I do realize that each and every day, each and every milestone is truly a gift from Him.

Thank you Lord for granting me so many mommy moments...

There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven

Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV)

3 comments:

bp said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Have you ever read the children's book by Karen Kingsbury called Let Me Hold You Longer? Your post made me think of it. Have a blessed day!

Simply a mommy said...

Glad you enjoyed the post. I haven't read that particular book but I am a Kingsbury fan. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

~Rhen @yestheyareallmine said...

I too have learned to not rush on the "firsts" but rather let them take their time and try to enjoy every moment.
Great post!