Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The mommy gap

I'm noticing a widening gap amongst my mommy friends. As I've mentioned before, I sometimes long for the days when things seemed simpler. My fellow mommys all had pretty much the same rules back then. First and foremost, were big on safety and peace. We all encouraged sharing and no one let our kids play in the street or bonk someone else over the head. :-)



Now we often see things differently. While some of us routinely leave the kids home alone for short periods or drop them off at the movie or football game, others still allow parties and sleepovers only at the home of truly trusted friends. Some have allowed their girls to wear makeup, heels, and string bikinis while others are trying to keep their girls dressing, well, girlish. Some kids have cell phones and IM at will, while others are allowed on the net only for school work. And why am I getting the feeling that things will only get stickier from here on out?


It's definitely not always about right and wrong anymore, it's more about figuring out what's right for my girls. That's why I am so glad to be able to lean on the Lord. I find myself doing so more and more about lots of things, but parenting my 'tweens in particular. I know that I couldn't begin to figure it all out without him.



Thank you Lord for continuing to provide us with the wisdom and discernment to make the right choices for our girls. In your name I pray, Amen.



Teach me in your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path.

Psalm 27:11 (NIV

No comments: