Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Family Arithmetic

Have you ever thought about the simple math involved as God grows our families? First there's addition. We marry (that's a +1 for sure) and then he sometimes sees fit to bless us with children. I thank Him each day that I'm a +5, just in my own immediate family. He continues this growth by multiplication. I've seen Him at work in the families of our parents. My husband and I were the first on both sides of the family to marry and to have children. In just over a decade he's multiplied our families with 3 additional marriages and the blessing of nine children!

The flip side of this would division, and while I wish it weren't so, it does exist. I believe this comes not from our heavenly father, but is the unfortunate result of sinful individuals living in a fallen world. At times we're incapable or unwilling to do the things we should to promote peace and prevent conflict, myself included. God gave us the gift of free will, so I think that conflict within our families will always exist to varying degrees. While he does not prevent division, he does prevent subtraction and I thank Him for that. Even if family members become estranged and eventually when they pass away, they are not gone from us. They live on in our hearts and memories.

As much as conflict pains me it's often an opportunity for growth. An argument within my own extended family has troubled me lately, but serves as a reminder that my happiness is not determined by the people or circumstances that surround me. My fulfillment comes from above. He will fill me to the point of overflowing if I let him. I can always find peace by looking up, even when I'm surrounded by strife.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:1 (NIV)

Lord please help me to act in ways that will promote peace and temper anger. I wish for my family to be marked by growth and not division. I ask this in your name. Amen.

No comments: