Monday, February 25, 2008

Got answers?

My girls and their Dad went to hear Ken Ham from the Answers ministry speak locally last Friday. I think their ministry really is an important one. I do believe that Christianity truly is under assault and the creation vs. evolution issue is a key battle in this larger war. I also think it's important to realize that the debate is not about science versus religion either. The reality of the situation is that evolution is an atheist religion and is not based on science at all. True science involves making observations about the world and being able to replicate those results. This simply isn't possible in the case of evolution. Science has limits and I think that if students and all people understood this it would eliminate much of the confusion around this issue. Evolution is a belief system based on suppositions and personal opinions about the past, and is simply incorrect.

In my humble opinion it's also important to remember that once we begin to place our faith in the words of men, rather than the word of God (the only one who was there, by the way) we begin speeding down a dangerous road. Once you question Genesis' literal account of creation you can easily make the leap to doubting other parts of scripture including the Gospel itself.

Yes, I realize that creationism can be divisive, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it. In some cases true neutrality just isn't possible! I hope we've learned by watching society degrade over the past several decades that we do not live in a vacumn. We cannot remove God and religion from our lives without letting something else seep in. That something else has been secular humanism at best and atheism at worst. We are just now beginning to see the 'fruit' of that.

My girls got some great information and received answers to a lot of very important questions. I think it's important to be able to discuss such specifics with your children and I 'll touch on those briefly tomorrow. I'm also going to list a few reading materials we've found helpful. So feel free to tune-out if you're not interested, I promise to be off my 'soapbox' and on to other subjects after that. In the meantime I'd invite you to check out Answers in Genesis, they say it way better than I ever could.

No comments: