Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs#4: Something new


I blogged about our general plans in week 2 here. You can also see a pretty comprehensive list of our resources and curricula in my sidebar. In this our second year of homeschooling I'm using several resources which are new to us. Most of these are working out well. I'm very grateful for the seasoned advice that I've received IRL from some local moms as well as the variety of information available on the net at places like homeschoolreviews. Since we're leaning towards the classical way of doing things my virtual friends at the Well Trained Mind forums have been most helpful of all.

I've always found in depth grammar study to be quite frustrating. Last year we trudged our way through Abeka's grade 5 level worktext. It was certainly a comprehensive course, but we all began dreading it. So I spent much of the summer in search of something that would be a better fit for our family and we thankfully found Easy Grammar.

This is the way that I wish I'd been taught! Their method of identifying prepositional phrases first makes it much easier to find the subjects, verbs, and other sentence parts. It's easy on the teacher also with small, concise lessons that are well scripted. While Abeka often seemed to overload us with explanation and exercises, Easy Grammar seems to have just the right amount of practice for us. I love it when I find something so simple that works so well. We strongly considered some other options such as Analytical Grammar and Winston Grammar, but I'm confident that we made the right choice in the end.

I'm looking forward to reading about other's gems. It's fun to explore something new.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

You have a lovely blog. It is just so pretty.
I have heard wonderful things about Easy Grammar. I have friends that use that and have been very pleased with it.

De said...

We are also using Easy Grammar for the first time this year. I love it and think that it's going to be a great fit. My oldest still doesn't like grammar but they make it so easy to understand! Hope it goes well for you this year

momofmhasr said...

Hope you have a great year.

Andi Carter said...

Oh, yes, I feel your pain. I did ABEKA spelling one year and felt the same way. Pain, pain, pain, learning to spell words my 7th and 8th graders didn't even know the meanings of! We used ACE Grammar paces, which are a lot like ABEKA, and then I discovered Easy Grammar. I did the Daily Grams (since both kids had SUCH a foundation in grammar already), and we LOVED the 10 minute drill (Daily Grams is part of the Easy Grammar curriculum).
Life will be easy this year for you!
Oh, your girls are adorable!

Unknown said...

Hey Im on WTM too. :) Grammar is one of those subjects that Im not quite sure I've picked the right cir. yet. I'll have to check out your links.:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.
It sounds as though you have a good year planned out and I completely agree with you about Easy Grammar. Some friends of mine had suggested this to me as well a couple of years ago and my kids have, and will be again, using this. We're also using another 'daily' grammar book but I think that when they struggle with an area we'll go back to Easy to help with that area.

Anonymous said...

I too trudged through some pretty comprehensive grammar programs. I have lightend up and now only do a few of the lessons on each topic and focus more on the actual development of writing well.

Anonymous said...

I'm using a combo of Easy Grammar and Winston Grammar this year for my 7th grader. I like Easy Grammar - I think it's as "Easy" as teaching grammar can get. :D
Amy