Monday, May 5, 2008

Cupcakes and Candles





Wow! It truly seems like only yesterday that Brian and I brought home a tiny, fragile baby from the NICU. She came home with lists of instructions and her own alarm system, its colored wires trailed down through her the outfits that we had to rush out and buy, preemie size.


She's grown so much this year. You'd never know she started out so very little. She's exploring her world with excitement and careful, bow-legged steps and she's beginning to say new words each day. I've really had to share this baby too. Her older sisters are so eager to help and enjoy spending lots of time with her. The feeling is very mutual. She's even named them all. Calls of, "Bub, Did-did, and Pap" punctuate our days.


I'm honestly not ready to celebrate this birthday yet. For this mommy it's bittersweet. I know firsthand how quickly little ones grow, yet it still seems to catch me by surprise. It happens quickly and quietly amidst the daily grind of life as we know it.


I'm posting a day early, but we'll be celebrating her special day at the beach. Hopefully the serenity of the waves and the sound of my children's laughter will make the day joyful and comfort my mother's heart. I know that I need to savor this milestone as soon it too shall be a memory.


We'll return home later this week, renewed and ready for cupcakes and candles.


No comments: