Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Weekly Blog Challenge

I've enjoyed participating in this weekly challenge with some of my online buddies. This week's question is:
What is one area in your spiritual life that you want to grow in or change?

Wow, there are so many things that I need to address! I do know that I worry WAY too much, particularly about my precious girls. As babies I concerned myself mostly with their health and safety, certainly no small matter. As they've grown the worry has become more about their education, their spiritual health, and the choices they make. The statement little kids- little problems, big kids- big problems seems to feel overwhelmingly true for me some days.

I realize that I need to worry less and pray more, fear less and trust more. I cannot possibly protect my children from every danger they will encounter. How blessed I am to have a relationship with someone who can!

I was really encouraged after doing some reading in, "Quiet Moments for Busy Moms" recently. I'll share just a snippet of it here:

"From the beginning (of motherhood) I've known little control, but I've been far from powerless. I've known the power of being well acquainted with the Ruler of the universe. He commands the angels who guard my children, and he rules over every event in their lives. No, I don't worry- though it could come quite naturally for my mother's heart. Instead I remind myself of the One who is in control, the One who loves my children even more than I do, the One who knows what is best." (Rebecca Mulvaney)

The only thing to do when confronted by matters too great for me is to pray.

"I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore." Psalm131 :1b-3 (NIV)

This verse speaks to my mothers heart and gives me strength to try and worry less.

No comments: